ASD Middle School Racing
The Middle School Nordic skiing practices and races are a program of the Anchorage School District. The program offers after-school lessons and may provide skiing equipment for your child (please check availability of ski equipment with your child’s middle school). This program is also a non-cut program, meaning any child, male or female, may ski and race on their school’s team. ASD contracts with the Nordic Skiing Association of Anchorage to organize and officiate the six races that occur during the two-month season. NSAA is a non-profit that maintains cross country trails year round, all trail user families are encouraged to support their trails by becoming members.
For more information on how to get your child involved in their school’s Nordic skiing program, please contact their school.
Anchorage School District’s Middle School Racing Start Times
Parents, want to support your skier and have fun on race day? Come help out and help at the Middle School races! The volunteers work together to make the race a great experience for all racers whether first or last, for families and coaches. We need help to set up the race course 2 hours before the start and other help during the race in the start/finish area and in the woods. We sometimes even have inside jobs on race day. No experience needed – we train!
How You Can Help:
- Course Set Up: This is the only job that takes place in advance of races—usually starting about 3 pm the afternoon of the race. Help mark the course and set up start and finish areas. Don’t need to ski.
- Timing Crew: Feel the excitement of the finish line!! Working in groups of two, you time and record results. We train; no experience needed.
- Course Marshals: Stationed on course with radios, these volunteers get to see the race unfold on the course, and report any problems should they occur. Skis help.
- Course sweeps: You get to ski behind the race, provide encouragement to the slowest, report problems and get to witness the best sportsmanship as the last skiers are cheered home.
- Announcer: Announce start times and race information.
- Course Take Down: Host Team
Click here to sign up to volunteer!
Volunteer Coordinators: email@example.com We appreciate your help!
Trail maintenance and grooming done by the Nordic Skiing Association of Anchorage.
*Weather and/or snow conditions may dictate a change in location. Please double check race venue as late as morning of the race.
|#1 – Wednesday, Feb 1||Classic||Eagle River HS||5:30 PM||Gruening & Central|
|#2 – Wednesday, Feb 8||Classic||Chugiak HS||5:30 PM||Clark, Begich & Wendler|
|#3 – Wednesday, Feb 15||Mixed Relay||Kincaid||5:30 PM||Mears & Winterberry|
|#4 – Wednesday, Feb 22||Freestyle||Service HS||5:30 PM||Hanshew & Girdwood|
|#5 – Thursday, Feb 28||Freestyle||Bartlett HS||5:30 PM||Mirror Lake & STrEaM|
|#6 – Thursday, Mar 2||Freestyle Championships||Kincaid||5:30 PM||Romig & Goldenview|
NO DOGS PLEASE: No dogs are allowed in the stadium or ski trails. Thank you.
Race #1, February 1
Race #2, February 8
Race #3, February 15
Race #4, February 22
Race #5, February 28
Race #6, March 2
Coordinating Assistant Principal:
Gruening Middle School
Kelly Parsons, 907-742-3600
NSAA Middle School Representative:
Diane Moxness – 907-242-5936 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Timing Results Questions and Corrections:
Bob Stehn – email@example.com
Nordic Skiing Association of Anchorage 907-276-7609